The first mention of “cocktails” was in a London newspaper in 1798. It wasn’t until 1806, however, that the true ingredients were pinned down to liquor, sugar, water and “bitters.” Cocktails were originally called slings, from the German word “schlingen,” which translates to “swallow quickly.” There are various legends of when the name changed to […]
Bar Seine – Classic Cocktails, Alluring Atmosphere
The first mention of “cocktails” was in a London newspaper in 1798. It wasn’t until 1806, however, that the true ingredients were pinned down to liquor, sugar, water and “bitters.” Cocktails were originally called slings, from the German word “
Some classic cocktails include:
- The Manhattan: whiskey, sweet vermouth, a dash of bitters, orange peel
- The Old Fashioned: bourbon or whiskey, two dashes of Angostura bitters, a sugar cube, plain water
- Martinez: gin, sweet vermouth, maraschino liquor, two dashes of orange bitters, lemon twist
- Tom Collins: Old Tom gin, lemon juice, sugar syrup, carbonated water
- Clover Club: Raspberry syrup, gin, lemon juice, egg white
- White Lady: Gin, Cointreau or Combier, lemon juice, egg white
- Bloody Mary: Vodka, tomato juice, Tabasco, pepper, salt, Worcestershire sauce, lemon
- Mint Julep: Whiskey, powdered sugar, water, mint leaves
Whatever the origins, cocktails can vary from country to country and even region to region. Bartenders are known to offer their own unique takes as well and the experts behind Bar Seine are no exception. At our Upper East Side cocktail bar, you’ll find the classics alongside drinks like our signature, Bar Seine Martini and riffs like the Guava Moscow Mule and Cucumber Cosmopolitan.
Bar Seine is often cited as one of Manhattan’s most romantic bars as well. Our eclectic art, rich velvet, leather floors, and plush chairs invite you to linger and enjoy quality time with your special someone. Fancy a nibble? Complimentary truffled popcorn is available or select something delicious from the full lounge menu such as steak frites or tuna tataki. Bar Seine is open daily from 11:00 a.m. until 12:30 a.m.